A full time faculty member with a PhD is entitled to a one semester sabbatical with full pay or one year sabbatical with half pay after teaching at AUIS for seven years. The sabbatical cannot constitute the last semester of a contract period. During the sabbatical, the faculty member is entitled to the following benefits:
- Full salary for one semester/half salary for one year
- AUIS Housing
- Subsidized Healthcare (as usual)
- Residency in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI)
- Access to AUIS library resources
- Office space (a desk in an office) at AUIS
- The right to participate in teaching education courses necessary for promotion
- The right to participate in exchange programs with other universities
Sabbaticals are intended as time for research and publication, which will enhance the reputation of AUIS.
In order to apply to the sabbatical, the faculty member must:
- Notify his/her chair at least six months before the beginning of the new semester of his/her intention of taking the sabbatical; and,
- Submit a proposal justifying the academic need for the sabbatical. His/her request must be endorsed by the chair and then forwarded to the Dean of Faculty.
- The faculty member must submit a report on all his/her academic activities at the end of the sabbatical.
Upon approval by the Dean of Faculty, the chair has the right to either assign overloads or to hire one (or more) adjunct faculty member(s) in order to cover the required courses.