All applicants must demonstrate a minimum level of English proficiency before being admitted to the American University of Iraq, Sulaimani.
English Language Placement Exam and Testing Policy
The American University of Iraq, Sulaimani (AUIS) and the Academic Preparatory Program (APP) admits students of all ages, cultures and backgrounds. Each student’s level of English proficiency is tested (using the AUIS English placement test*) prior to the start of his or her time on campus. The AUIS admissions policies ensure that all students get the instruction that they need in order to thrive in an American-style education system. The AUIS English placement test (or equivalent English test) is used in order to determine which level (APP Level Foundations, 1, 2, 3, 4 or the undergraduate program) a student is qualified to enter. By using the placement test to determine the English-competency levels of all of our applicants, we have created an objective and fair method of determining the proper placement of each student, either within APP or in the AUIS undergraduate program.
*Applicants in Erbil and Baghdad may take TOEFL ITP at AMIDEAST instead of the AUIS English Placement Test
AUIS Prospects (New Students):
AUIS uses its own English placement test as its primary English placement exam for admission and APP level placement. English placement exam results for new students are final and determine placement into APP levels.
APP Enrolled Students: Currently enrolled, Withdrawn or on Leave of Absence:
Once enrolled, if students want to change their APP level, they are allowed to participate in an official TOEFL iBT during the scheduled testing date.
- A higher score on the exam can advance their level in APP.
- A lower score on the exam will not affect their APP level.
To test directly into the Undergraduate Program from APP, students must pass the TOEFL iBT. This is a more comprehensive exam that tests all academic skills. This will increase the rigor and security of direct testing to the UG program.
- AUIS Testing Center offers the TOEFL iBT for enrolled APP students.
- Testing dates are determined by ETS, allowing for 20-40 iBT seats per month at AUIS.
- Registration dates will be announced by email. Students who plan to register must bring the registration form, a copy of their passport, and the test fee to the office of Professional Development Institute (PDI) at the scheduled time.
- For future TOEFL iBT test dates, please see our schedule.
- Anyone who takes the iBT must wait 30 days before being allowed to take another iBT exam.
To test directly into the Undergraduate Program from APP, students must pass the TOEFL iBT. This is a more comprehensive exam that tests all academic skills. This will increase the rigor and security of direct testing to the Undergraduate Program.
|AUIS Levels||TOEFL ITP||TOEFL iBT||IELTS|
|Foundations of English||320-399||0-26||0-4|
|Level 4||Placed by passing APP Level 3||71||Placed by passing APP Level 3|
*must receive at least a 15 in each section