The mission of the AUIS Law Department is to create the premier legal higher education program in Iraq and its Kurdistan Region. It strives to offer a vibrant and diverse department where students develop the knowledge, skills, and professional values to have successful careers advancing justice, building the economy, and serving the various needs of modern Iraqi and Kurdish society. AUIS combines the requirements set by the Ministry of Higher Education with a carefully calibrated AUIS liberal arts offering that produces some of the most well-rounded, thoughtful, and capable legal practitioners in the region.
AUIS has established itself as a leading university in Iraq and Kurdistan for its ability to instill critical thinking in its students. Iraq is experiencing an unprecedented period where critical thinking among the next generation of leaders is needed more than ever. The bedrock of all progressive and developed societies is a respected and intellectually rigorous legal system. AUIS seeks to play a key role in creating the future leaders of Iraq’s legal system.
The AUIS Law Department will prepare the next generation of lawyers to be among the leading legal practitioners in Iraq and the Kurdistan Region. In line with Ministry requirements, and by fulfilling the renowned AUIS core curriculum course load, graduates of the new law program will be able to successfully:
- Pass the required Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research annual law examination;
- Practice law in both Arabic and English;
- Think critically as lawyers, capable of applying their critical thinking and practical legal skills throughout public, private, and civil society;
- Read, write, and advise as highly capable legal experts on a variety of subject matters;
- Acquire the necessary skills to practice law in Iraq, the Kurdistan Region, and the rest of the Arab region. This will include the ability to practice law in multinational businesses and other organizations throughout the region.